You know, I am pretty comfortable admitting that I live far below my expectations for myself. Case in point: this blog. I could probably link back to the MANY times in the past I've posted a post like this.
I've (strange, yes) asked this cyber-journal for forgiveness and begged understanding. Well, I'm done with that. So, now I want to try to capture the past two weeks of blog-writing delinquency in this lengthy list. Don't expect order in this mess, I'll be lucky if I remember half of the crazy things that transpired. Enjoy:)
November 18 - December 5
- Rode in an ambulance with a 7th grader
- Was told by a student that I seem "19 years old"
- Went through an identity complex after I heard the above comment
- Quickly assured myself of same-age friends by hosting my new church friends Johanna and Gaby for vegetarian lasagna
- Cooked my first turkey ... ever. It was 11 pounds. I defrosted it in my kitchen sink. Massaged out the ice (because I didn't plan for an all day de-icing event), named him Terry.
- Took suggestions from students (who apparently take their know-how from a guy named Anthony Bordaine?) about how to season the turkey (I think there was oil, thyme, italian seasoning, rosemary involved?!?!)
- Led the kids at the feeding center in singing and prayed for one of my favorite little ones and her father, who is blind.
- Had our first two mission trip meetings (I'm leading a group of high schoolers on a mission trip here in Honduras in March)
- Cherished every Sunday night I can spend with Micah Project, worshipping
- Found my new favorite Christmas song: Winter Snow by Audrey Assad (also on Chris Tomlin's Christmas CD)
- Re-discovered my love for walking the city (the car has been in the shop for several weeks)
- Hosted 11th grade girls for Thanksgiving .... lasagna - their choice! :) and made my first ENORMOUS cookie
- Watched 2012 at the mall... then walked 30 minutes home from the mall thinking the whole time if walking home from the mall was what I wanted to be doing at the end of the world.
- Wondered why all the world leaders (minus the US) in the movie 2012 were white... hmm?
- Crafted and conspired (although less than I would like) for Christmas... I am truly making every gift (or supporting causes here) and it gets a bit tricky with the brothas!
- Met a Jehovah's Witness on the street (they have a headquarters a few blocks from my house) and then later met to talk over coffee... for 2 1/2 hours. I'm hoping there will be a friendship. Her name is Larissa.
- Spent the night at a student's house... again.
- Watched as one of my dearest girls was baptized.
- Lamented over my horrible upkeep of my newsletter. It's depressing, so I don't like to think of it. I WILL have one written before I leave. It'll be some crazy November/December combination:)
- Decided to be on the worship team at church... starting in January.
- I have savored many moments quiet.
- I have asked many times forgiveness in these last couple weeks.
- Tried to make very solid things abstract because it's easier for my mind to think in colors and shapes and strange, vine-like things that wrap around all the stubborn, tangible realities.
- Painted a watercolor.
- Missed my sister pretty intensely.
- Fought a bit with what I affectionately call "devil-eye" - where my eyes get mean and red and hate contacts altogether. These are the days when laser eye surgery should be cheaper. Or pollution less? I think that's part of my problem living in the city.
- Decided to pray for one of my brother's football players and already feeling connected to the mighty work of the Lord in Michigan.
- Felt the ebb and flow of frustration in consistency. Well - there is no flow. There is no consistency with my girls. It's painful, really.
- Went to a church conference with a student... interesting experience
- Worship night with the kids... pretty awesome.
- Thought and dreamed a lot about what my life will be like and how I can serve... but then realized that I am here in a dream and living service...
- caught myself being foolish A LOT!
- Caught up (a little teeny bit) with friends in Michigan, Chicago, and Indy.
That's it for now, folks! I love you and half-way promise to be more regular in my writing.