It has been a LONG while since I posted links for "this & that." I'll just trust you've been doing your own sleuthing. In the chance that you haven't, here are some things you should look up.
- Friends, please watch this trailer for the documentary, "Captivated." The lure of media-saturated living is so great and happened so subtly that we barely realize our bondage.
[vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/31105929 w=400&h=300]
- I mostly get my movie recommendations from the blogs I read and this post by Thabiti Anyabwile makes me want to look up listings for Prometheus right away. Now, for finding the time to go to the theatre...
- Oh, did you think eugenics was a thing of the past? This brilliant piece in the NYTimes, "Eugenics, Past and Future" reveals where the idea (because things like public policy always start with ideas and end up with society-altering implications) originated and which great minds were involved in its inception. Now, what does the conversation look like today? I wish there wasn't one.
- This timelapse video of Yosemite is breathtaking. Such beauty - really unexplainable beauty. If you've got 4 minutes, you won't be wasting it by watching this video.
- This is a hard story to read, so don't click unless you are ready. It's not one that is filled with hope in the last lines or rings of redemption - this story is streaked with pain. This freelance writer (and blogger) writes about her very real and frightful struggle with a daughter who has acute mental illness, "In the never after."
Now, can I make a shameless plug? Um, I'm trying to ... well, I'm trying to "be" a blogger. I guess I mean that in the sense that I'd love to have more "hits" and "pings" and all those things that make your readership grow. Not because I have something to say, or maybe it is because of that. In any case, I've been told one of the ways to find more readers is to have them "like" you on facebook. There is a facebook image on my sidebar and if you click on it, you can "like" my blog on facebook. There, I said it and I can't give you anything for doing it. Just do it if you want to and don't do it if you don't.
Okay, friends. Please