It's 9:32 pm. I've got dream bars in the oven (with a variation that has me puzzled about cooking time), I'm munching on tortillas with sun-dried tomato hummus (the strangest before-bedtime snack I've ever been a part of), and I'm looking at what I picked up at the grocery store: fake milk in a box, chocolate chips, powdered sugar, pumpkin, and oatmeal (wondering why these are my first purchases after paycheck), and I'm thinking it's a strange day.
Oh, well. I'm sure you have those days too. Nothing especially wrong or out of place, but you feel like you are moving around in someone else's skin and it's just uncomfortable. At this point, all of you who haven't felt this way have at least one eyebrow raised. Which, I guess, is kind of my point.
Sometimes I get overwhelmed with everything I want to do or read or hear or say or know and I go into overload mode. Hm. I imagine this is what a baby bird might feel when it first discovers its wings. There are so many endless possibilities - so many adventures and birdies to adventure with and trees and clouds and...
then there's that typical picture of the not-yet-ready-for-flight birdie falling clumsily from the nest.
There's no better way to explain than to give a few examples, so here they are in NO particular order:
- I really want to know if there is a connection in the Hebrew word "paneh," which means presence and the Spanish word "pan," which means bread. We're studying the story of David right now and when he ran from Saul he stopped and asked for bread from a priest who only had holy bread on hand. This bread was called "paneh" because it was the bread of the Presence. I thought, how neat would it be if there was a connection because Christ (the Word) became physically present and is the bread of life. I have searched and can't make sense of etymologies in several languages... The farthest I got led me to some Polish explanation of Mr. and Mrs. (which is pan/pani).
- At what point are liberties counterproductive in recipes? I mean, a little more butter, flour, and sugar would naturally just increase quantity, no? And peanut butter always adds value, right? Tomorrow we will find out! I'm sincerely hoping that my scheme to encourage "Taste and see the Lord is good" (Ps. 38:4) leads them to understand GOD is what the need to taste! (More joy and satisfaction, less tummy-ache!)
- Why does pride always wiggle its way into the category of "self-preservation"? That is a lie through and through.
- I hope with every hope in my heart baking becomes drastically cheaper.
- I have been reading an absolutely amazing book called, "Competent to Counsel" by Jay E. Adams and I love how he challenges the excuses we make for personality by saying, "It's just who I am." We are in a sanctification process, here, folks - there's no settling for "just who I am." So, I started to wonder (out loud) about how I should change my personality... what needs refining? I was wondering this and talking to my friend Sarah, when all of a sudden I wondered if I could still do the splits. I paused, slinkered down as far as I could and then popped back up above the countertop and said, "not quite." She burst out laughing and then she said, "More of that. You should definitely change your personality to include more splits." I don't know...
- There's this student. She is amazing, beautiful, inspiring and God is transforming her right in front of my eyes. I've never had a front row seat to something so spectacular! I mean, here I am, sitting next to her just listening to her talk with such seriousness about faith and plans. But, it's not just fluffy, future talk. This girl is making it happen in her life the way some kids can only make it happen at summer camp or youth conferences. I'm just thinking, "What's up with this?" God is SO amazing to be working and restoring and growing such a beautiful heart! And I get to watch? WOW!
- I've got Asia on the brain and I don't know why.
- I want to read and understand and memorize the Heidelberg Catechism... and then try to start understanding what Bach has to do with it (thanks Justin Taylor for planting that seed in my already crazy day!).
- I want like crazy to sew an owl costume right up for Halloween, but I'm not sure where I would go with it... which makes me want to have a costume party at my house, which reminds me of the mammoth weekend of 4 am sushi-making chaos that is barely a week behind.
- There's a crazy urgency in me to take each of these seniors by their ALP uniform shirt and shake them a little bit (friendly, of course) to make sure they know how much I love 'em and how important it is for them to know how much more MASSIVE God's love is for them. I just want them to get it, as my Dad used to say.
- I talked to my mom on Sunday and she added the greatest news - Dad finally sold the calf that was the Lord's! I know it sounds strange... in fact, every single person I told today asked for a repeat. Buying and selling calves makes absolutely no sense to people outside the farming/cattle industry and that's okay. What you should probably understand is the way God is using my Dad's hobby operation to bless people around the globe. This time, he gave the calf to the Lord and said the money would go to Honduras. What joy I had as I wrote in a large sum under the current total of money raised by the sleepout. Praise the Lord!!
Oh, boy. Now do you understand a teensy bit more? My brain is like a crazy factory! It makes crazy all day, non-stop! I think I should tone down on the coffee.
It's now 10:17 pm and I hope this day found you less strangely inclined.
let LOVE fly like cRaZy